It's been a long time since I posted any sort of writing project update. Mostly because I've been super busy writing. =D But there's a lot going on, so here's the scoop:
1. DEFIANCE: I've finished 3 rounds of edits and would happily make out with the manuscript in public given half the chance. I'm very proud of it. It is truly the best I'm capable of doing. I have copy edits next, and then page proofs, and then *cue stomach flip* ARCs go out to reviewers. Oh, and I'll be getting my cover fairly soon, though I don't know how soon they'll let me share it.
2. Synopsis Workshop Handouts: I've revamped my synopsis workshop handouts so that they will effectively answer all pressing questions and break down the entire process into small, manageable steps. It's like having a pro guide you carefully through the process, helping you keep your sanity and turn out an amazing synopsis at the same time. The handout packet is now for sale on my workshop website and arrives as a Word.doc attachment. The workshop itself was $70 (back when I still had time to offer it), and I'm selling the comprehensive handouts for $25.
3. Query Writing Handbook: I've finished the first draft of my upcoming Query Writing Handbook, and I'm excited to be able to offer it for purchase soon! It's as thorough as I could possibly get without sitting right beside you myself every step of the way. Covering everything from what a query is, how to find a good agent, how to write a hook, what to ask an agent who is offering representation and much, MUCH more, this truly is everything I know about query writing all in one tidy little package. Release date will be announced soon!
4. Novella: I'm currently writing the story of two of DEFIANCE's secondary characters. I have plans to make the novella available between books 1 and 2 of the trilogy. More info on this will be forthcoming once I have it. But I think maybe I broke some kind of novella record by killing ten people in the first chapter. Is there a prize for that? Medication? Wonderful. I'll take it.
5. Book Two: I actually have a working title for this, but until I have the go-ahead from my editor, I'll be calling this book IN WHICH EVERYTHING GOES WRONG. It's kind of catchy. This book is mostly plotted out (and I'll solidify that this weekend at my writer's retreat), and I'll be starting it as soon as I finish the novella.
6. Research: As other writers know, even though you're working on one project, several others are always clamoring for attention in your brain. Right now, I have two other YA series vying for my attention, so I'm doing the research and creating files that I can open when I'm ready to dive into the actual writing. Between these two projects and the DEFIANCE trilogy, I've researched all of the following: robotics, corsets, Manga, knives, homemade batteries, cons, Chinese flowers, Los Angeles, water myths, Jack the Ripper, and tree houses. My brain is a strange and wonderful place sometimes. :)
7. Casting Stones: After I finish writing Book 2, I'll be turning my attention to the Casting Stone series, which is the adult series I'll be publishing in 2013. The best description for this series is Supernatural meets I Love Lucy. Book 1 is finished and will be edited, and then I'll write Book 2. I have plans to publish both in spring and summer of 2013.
Well. I don't know about you, but I think that's PLENTY to have on my plate at the moment. :) Look for a release date for both DEFIANCE and the Query Writing Handbook soon!