Top 12 Reasons Why I Love The UK
12. Big Ben. I mean really. He's the kind of clock who laughs at other, lesser clocks. Who looks on as digital time-keeping takes the world by storm and says "Yo mama." And gets away with it. Because he's Big Ben.
|I'm Big Ben, yo. Recognize.|
11. Shakespeare. A rose by any other name would still write some pretty amazing plays. I'd rhapsodize over him a bit, but the show must go on. Besides, if I were to misquote him, I fear he'd demand his pound of flesh.
|That's right. I wrote a ton of plays that are still being performed centuries later AND I rocked a lace collar. Because I am one BAAAAAD dude.|
|Come on. Just a taste. You know you want to.|
|Yes. I am delicious. And I am not a kipper, which makes me extra delicious.|
8. Monty Python. There's nothing on Earth like British humor. I have no idea if the Brits consider MP to be an exemplary example of fine British humor, but I enjoy them very much. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go shout Niii and scare random passers-by because, as I'm sure you've noticed, I'm not dead yet.
|Invisible horses! It's all the rage.|
7. Castles. Why live in a home when you can have a castle? Okay, fine. I know most Brits don't live in them, but the castles are gorgeous, and I love them with the same kind of fierce passion I reserve for pirates and peach tea.
|Look at me, all you lesser, boring, un-turreted homes. The envy, it BURNS.|
6. Bond. James Bond. Thank you, England. I'll take him shaken, not stirred.
|I don't need a bloody caption. I'm Bond. James Bond.|
5. Victorian Gowns. You have to love fashion that rearranges your ribs to give you a tiny waist while simultaneously poofing out your butt as if you'd somehow trapped a small whale beneath your skirts. I frankly adore ballgowns and corsets and a nice top hat on a man. Well done, Victoria. Well done.
|We may have sat on some whales, but our dresses are still prettier than anything in your closet.|
4. Sherlock Holmes. I've always enjoyed this flawed, narcissistic genius, but when it came to the big screen courtesy of Robert Downey, Jr. and Jude Law, I moved from enjoyment to flat out fangirl.
|Yes. I am brilliant. Shall we bask in that realization for a moment?|
3. Tower of London. You have to love a country who locks criminals in a tower. Even though I adore towers (see Castle love above), I will probably mind my Ps and Qs while I'm in London. I don't actually think they lock mouthy Americans in the tower, but I don't feel like tempting them to break that tradition.
|NOT C.J.'s future home.|
2. Harry Potter. If none of the above existed, I would still love the UK for this series alone. Because I cannot write a paragraph documenting my deep love for the HP books without it turning into an essay, I will simply readjust the Sorting Hat that I'm currently wearing, dust off my potion bottles (Mandrake, Felix Felicitas, & Polyjuice), and move on.
|Bring it, Voldemort.|
1. Atom Books. And the #1 reason why I love the UK is this: Atom Books, an imprint of Little Brown, UK, bought the DEFIANCE trilogy!!! I am thrilled to be working with the talented team at Atom, and can't wait to hold my UK version in my hands!
|We rock your socks off.|