Thursday, September 13, 2012

Fast Five with Jay Kristoff

Today, I welcome debut author Jay Kristoff to the blog for a round of Fast Five! Jay is the author of the highly anticipated STORMDANCER which hits stores this Tuesday. Let's take a peek at his book, and then dive into our Fast Five.

A Dying Land

The Shima Imperium verges on the brink of environmental collapse; an island nation once rich in tradition and myth, now decimated by clockwork industrialization and the machine-worshipers of the Lotus Guild. The skies are red as blood, the land is choked with toxic pollution, and the great spirit animals that once roamed its wilds have departed forever.

An Impossible Quest

The hunters of Shima's imperial court are charged by their Shōgun to capture a thunder tiger – a legendary creature, half-eagle, half-tiger. But any fool knows the beasts have been extinct for more than a century, and the price of failing the Shōgun is death.

A Hidden Gift

Yukiko is a child of the Fox clan, possessed of a talent that if discovered, would see her executed by the Lotus Guild. Accompanying her father on the Shōgun’s hunt, she finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in Shima’s last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled thunder tiger for company. Even though she can hear his thoughts, even though she saved his life, all she knows for certain is he’d rather see her dead than help her.

But together, the pair will form an indomitable friendship, and rise to challenge the might of an empire.

I know I'm not the only one salivating over this book. You can grab your own copy on Indie Bound, Amazon, or Barnes & Noble. You can learn more about Jay and his writing at his site.

For today's Fast Five, I gave Jay a list of topics and asked him to give me five favorites under each topic. Let's get to know the man behind the fabulous Japanese steampunk novel!


Most loved – The Princess Bride

Most hated – Kingdom of the Crystal Skull (also known as The Buggery of My Childhood)

Haven’t seen, but probably should – Bully

Can recite by heart – Aliens

Wish more people had seen it – Brotherhood of the Wolf

Books From Childhood

Most loved – Where the Wild Things Are

Most hated – My maths textbook

Haven’t read, but probably should – The Last Unicorn

Can remember where you were when you first read it – The Hobbit

Wish more people had read it – I am the Cheese


Most loved - Italian

Most hated – Anything spicy. Spicy kills me

Haven’t eaten, but probably should – Strawberry. (yes, I’ve never eaten a strawberry. Weird, I know)

Would eat anytime, anywhere – My bride’s fettucini carbonara

Best fuel for writing – Red Bull and chocolate

TV Shows

Most loved – The Wire

Most hated – Big Bang Theory (insult to nerds and geeks everywhere)

Haven’t watched, but probably should – Fringe

Can remember where you were when you saw it – Carl Sagan’s Cosmos

Wish more people had seen it – HBO’s Rome

Items in your closet

Most loved – My leather jacket

Most hated – My pile of dirty laundry

Haven’t worn in forever, probably should throw it out – My old Pittsburgh Penguins jersey

Wish you’d never thrown them out – My old band T-shirts

Why do I have so many – Sneakers

Thanks, Jay! Although our friendship nearly ended when I saw you hadn't yet watched Fringe ... *whispers loudly DOOOO IIIIIIITTTTTT!*

What do you think about Jay's lists? Anything you agree with? Disagree with? Would challenge him to a duel over?


  1. The book sounds amazing!

    And I have to say... "BUT THE BIG BANG THEORY IS AWESOME!!!"

  2. The first these chapters of this book are phenomenal.


  4. I agree with the Big Bang Theory and personally I've been loving Sherlock.

  5. YAY! I love the Princess Bride too!!! never ate a strawbery...?

  6. This makes me love Jay even more. I love this interview format. I agree with him on The Last Unicorn, Princess Bride, and Big Bang Theory. My mom, knowing I'm ALL NERD, recommended the show to me. "It's your kind of thing!" Um, no. NOOOOOO

  7. Have to agree about the math textbooks *blegh* Sierra
    Keep growing beautiful!

  8. HBO's Rome is fantastic! I too wish more people had seen it.

  9. Whoa, no strawberries? Does he ever plan to eat one? Strangely I find this very fascinating. Also curious about Pens jersey thing...

    Anyway, awesome fast five. This is a really cool idea and Jay seems like a really cool person.


People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!


Related Posts with Thumbnails