Today, I welcome debut author Tiffany Schmidt to the blog for a round of Fast Five! Tiffany is the author of the much anticipated SEND ME A SIGN which hits the shelves October 2nd. Let's take a look at her book and then dive into the Fast Five.
But when Mia is diagnosed with leukemia, the only sign she wants to see is that she will survive cancer and still be the girl she’s always been—top student, top cheerleader, and top of the social food chain.
Until she’s better, Mia doesn’t want anyone to know she has cancer. She doesn’t want her friends’ pity. And she certainly doesn’t want to start feeling something more than friendship for the one person who knows her secret, her best friend, Gyver. But the sicker Mia gets, the more she realizes that not even the clearest signs offer perfect answers, an in order to discover what will happen in her life, she will have to find the courage to live it.
As a cancer survivor myself, I am very drawn to this book. Knowing Tiffany, I believe I'll find a story that rings with humor, pathos, and emotional truth. I can't wait to read it. Tiffany dedicated the book to a former student of hers who passed away this past January from cancer, and is currently running a pre-order promotion. For every pre-order (you must send her proof of purchase ... go here for details), she'll donate one dollar to two separate cancer charities focused on kids. Want to grab your own copy and help? Here are some links! IndieBound, Amazon, Barnes & Noble.
Now, let's see what Tiffany had to say for her Fast Five!
1) Newsies (Let's be honest, this is Christian Bale's best role ever. Even when he's playing batman & Bateman, I'm wishing he would sing & dance.) (C.J. here: GIRL YOU KNOW BATMAN IS CAPITALIZED. AS IN THE ONE AND ONLY HOLY CRAP AWESOME BATMAN. COME ON. But yes, I wish he'd sing and dance, too. Maybe we could convince him to dress up as Batman and perform at your launch party? *schemes*)
2) Pride & Prejudice (ALL Versions, but especially the one with Mr. Darcy Firth) (The almost kiss that shook the foundation of the earth. Or was that just me?)
3) Easy A
4) Elf (This is a year-round movie in our house, not a holiday one) (Smiling is my favorite! I know him! I KNOW HIM!)
5) The Princess Bride (FYI - If you're ever reading something I've written, the answer is ALWAYS, "YES! Yes it IS a kissing book.") (Dude. If I typed every quote that just crammed its way into my head, I'd fill up the page ...)
1) There's A Monster At The End of This Book (I read this to The Schmidtlets tonight, it's STILL awesome)
2) Sweet Valley Twins -- all of them (Jessica ... girl knew her way around an eyeliner pencil and a hair dryer. I'm just saying.)
3) Little Women (and I'm FIRMLY in the Amy+Laurie club) (There's a club??? *joins*)
4) The President's Daughter by Ellen Emerson White (Guys, I just found out this was a series THIS YEAR. More Meg = life made.)
5) Flowers in the Attic by V.C. Andrews (which made my friends and me feel like the biggest rebels ever--and I'm pretty sure all our moms knew and were laughing at us...)
2) Soup (pretty much ANY flavor as long as it's not sweet versions of butternut squash) (What do you have against sweet versions of butternut squash soup??? We might be breaking up, here.)
3) Salted caramel anything
4) Gummy peaches (really, any fruit made into a gummy is a friend of mine) (Mmm ... peaches.)
5) Homemade mac 'n cheese
1) Gilmore Girls (Though I've still never seen the last episode -- so no one spoil it for me)
2) New Girl (Anyone up for a game of True American?)
3) Party of Five (My BFF & I would spend the whole show on the phone discussing how hot Bailey was and ignoring call waiting beeps...) (I was more a Charlie girl, myself. And then Charlie grew up and became Jack on Lost, so that was a WIN.)
4) Veronica Mars (Team Logan and also Team Veronica Mars Needs A Movie) (Wouldn't that movie just rock the world?)
5) Punky Brewster (Awesome fashion sense, best dog ever, to-die-for bedroom & sass-to-spare. I STILL want to be Punky when I grow up)
Items in my closet:
1) The tiara from my wedding (I wear it on my birthday and on random of course I'm a princess days) (I think there should be more random tiara days.)
2) Wellies (I heart puddle-jumping)
3) Running shoes
4) Baskets of PJ's (let's be honest, on about 50% of my writing days, I never change OUT of these). (Yoga pants FTW!)
5) The yet-to-be-purchased dress for my launch party. I'm not sure what it will look like yet, but let's cross our fingers I find something fabulous.
Thank you, Tiffany, for such a fun interview! What do you think of Tiffany's lists? Is she your soul sister or are giving her the Beady Eye over batman and unsweetened butternut squash?