Magical creatures, steampunk, alternate London, and a high stakes plot full of intrigue and danger? Sign me up, please! I'm excited to introduce you to the lovely Tiffany Trent and her fabulous debut novel, THE UNNATURALISTS, today. Want a closer look? Here you go:
In an alternate London where magical creatures are preserved in a museum, two teens find themselves caught in a web of intrigue, deception, and danger.
Vespa Nyx wants nothing more than to spend the rest of her life cataloging Unnatural creatures in her father’s museum, but as she gets older, the requirement to become a lady and find a husband is looming large. Syrus Reed’s Tinker family has always served and revered the Unnaturals from afar, but when his family is captured to be refinery slaves, he finds that his fate may be bound up with Vespa’s—and with the Unnaturals.And some blurbaliciousness:
As the danger grows, Vespa and Syrus find themselves in a tightening web of deception and intrigue. At stake may be the fate of New London—and the world.
"Fast-paced, heart-wrenching, magical and fascinating."--Tamora Pierce, author of The Song of the Lioness quartet
"Utterly ingenious! Tiffany Trent has more fine invention at her fingertips than a roomful of magical Leonardos!"—Ellen Kushner, World Fantasy Award-winning author
“By St. Darwin and his Great Apes, The Unnaturalists is unnaturally good! Few authors can mix science and fantasy the way Tiffany can; her science-worshiping New London is perfectly original and perfectly realized, and Vespa Nyx is a heroine to cheer for. So much steampunk is just more of the same; The Unnaturalists is captivatingly different.”—Ysabeau Wilce, Andre Norton Award-winning author of Flora’s Dare
"Thrilling, intricate and magical, The Unnaturalists is a formidable entry into the steampunk genre. Vespa Nyx is a spunky heroine we can all root for, and Tiffany Trent's worldbuilding skills are unmatched. This book will delight anyone who loves magic, gadgets and brilliantly drawn settings. I highly recommend it."—Caitlin Kittredge, author of The Iron Thorn
"Thoroughly magical...leaves readers wanting more."--Kirkus Reviews
Sounds fabulous, doesn't it? I couldn't wait to have Tiffany on the blog! She decided to take on the formidable Spork of Doom. Let's meet today's guests.
|Spork of Doom|
Now, usually this is the point in the interview when I show off the amazing cupcake my hubby created for Tiffany's book. But life has been hovering around the level of Defcon 4 in this house for the past two months, and so I've decided to suspend the cupcake creations for a while until things settle down. Instead, let's dive right into the interview!
1. I’m all about world domination, and I’m always looking for good help. Why would you be an acceptable minion in my quest?
Minion? Heck—I’m thinking more on the level of co-conspirator! ;-) I have an entire army of mad scientists at my disposal!
2. The Spork of Doom does not usually take on co-conspirators, although the idea of having an army of mad scientists minions is tempting. Perhaps we'll have a trial period. You can prove your sporky worth. Being a Spork of Doom takes moxie. What’s the sporkiest thing you’ve ever done?
Hmmm…there seem to be a number of things I could mention (and many I can’t). One that springs immediately to mind: I once stepped up and sang “Country Road” to a group of Tibetans in the Chinese highlands to avert international disaster.
3. You see? You averted international disaster. If you truly want to be my co-conspirator, you must CAUSE international disasters! When I’m not busy taking over the world, I like to eat pie. What kind of pie do you think is worthy of my Spork of Doom status?
Strawberry-rhubarb, my dear Spork. Strawberry-rhubarb all the way.
4. Hmm ... I'm sorry, what were you saying? I couldn't hear you over this mouthful of strawberry-rhubarb pie. What’s your favorite thing to do with a spork?
Egg toss. Or digging into shepherd’s pie. I can’t decide.
5. Egg toss?? For the sake of your probationary co-conspirator status, I hope you mean you use a spork to toss eggs into the faces of your enemy. I have the ability to be simultaneously spoon, fork, and weapon of mass destruction. What unique ability do you have?
The ability to identify most living organisms at a single bound. ;-)
6. Add to that the ability to quickly eliminate the most living organisms in a single bound and you might prove useful in my quest to take over the world. In this day and age, a savvy spork bent on world domination can’t afford to ignore a good marketing campaign. I’m thinking t-shirts with “Spork or Die.” If you made a shirt with your own slogan on it, what would it say?
I think you should also make a shirt for yourself that says, “Let’s Get Runcible.” For myself, hmmm…I would probably go with “Dark Geniuses don’t get even, they just kill you in their novels.”
7. My theme song is I'm Runcible And I Know It, so also putting that on a t-shirt seems like overkill. WHICH I APPROVE OF. You are hereby dubbed my official co-conspirator! Why is your job just as much fun as world domination?
Well, isn’t that what writing fantasy is anyway? :)
8. I wouldn't know. I make my fantasy a reality one sporked-up enemy at a time. In between conquests, I like to read a good story. What can you recommend and why?
If you fancy middle-grade, I can’t recommend Stephanie Burgis’s Regency magic series enough. Start with KAT, INCORRGIBLE. They’re delightful and feature some truly excellent villains bent on just your type of world domination. Try also Ysabeau Wilce’s FLORA series, starting with FLORA SEGUNDA. And I’d be remiss if I didn’t mention Lisa Mantchev’s THEATRE ILLUMINATA series, which I believe you’ve featured here before, yes?
9. You need to accomplish a secret, night-time mission as my minion. Cloak? No cloak? Why?
Cloak, of course. All the best villains wear them.
10. Cloaks, mad scientist army, and a strawberry-rhubarb pie? I like you more and more. My best piece of advice to others is this: “Fear the spork!” What’s your best advice?
Eat more chocolate! (Unless you’re diabetic—in which case, you probably shouldn’t).
Thank you, Tiffany, for such an entertaining interview! Of course, the fun isn't over yet. Tiffany is offering a copy of THE UNNATURALISTS to one lucky winner, and the contest is open internationally! The contest is open until 9/30/12, midnight EST. Good luck and happy reading.
a Rafflecopter giveaway