Friday, September 14, 2012

Weekend Reading

Weekend Reading is a weekly opportunity to share books we've recently read and loved, and books we're about to read. Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments!

This past week, I read the HOLY COW AMAZING The Crown of Embers by Rae Carson. (Hits the shelves this coming Tuesday, Sept 18th!!) This sequel to The Girl of Fire and Thorns was just ... I am almost without words. It was fully realized, nuanced, and constantly compelling. The romance is aching and lovely and sad and beautiful, and actually those words describe Elisa for much of the book as well. She's just starting to come into her own strength as a girl and as a queen, and she must slice her way through betrayal, political intrigue, self-doubt, and war to do so. I don't think I can properly gush enough about this book. You. Must. Read. This.

Well, first read Girl of Fire and Thorns so you aren't lost, and then READ THIS.

She does not know what awaits her at the enemy's gate.


Elisa is a hero. She led her people to victory over a terrifying, sorcerous army. Her place as the country's ruler should be secure. But it isn't.

Her enemies come at her like ghosts in a dream, from both foreign realms and within her own court. And her destiny as the chosen one has not yet been fulfilled.

To conquer the power she bears once and for all, Elisa must follow the trail of long-forgotten--and forbidden--clues from the deep, undiscovered catacombs of her own city to the treacherous seas. With her goes a one-eyed spy, a traitor, and the man who--despite everything--she is falling in love with.

If she's lucky, she will return from this journey. But there will be a cost.


Next up on my reading list is Stormdancer by Jay Kristoff. What have you read lately that you'd love to recommend to others? What are you reading next?

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness!! Is it out already? How the hell did I miss it? Must go find it! I loved the first book and was eagerly awaiting this one!

    As for recomendations... I haven't read much this week, but for what's worth of the month: Defiance (and no, it's not brown nosing), Anna Dressed In Blood, The Night Circus and Pretty When She Dies, oh and if you want a tongue-in-cheek fun book about vampires, go check Drink, Slay, Love...

    Now, I should also go back to Girl of Nightmares today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I need to get my hands on Girl of Nightmares! That's one of the first books I'll buy next month. (It will shock no one that I've already blown through September's book budget...)

      Delete
    2. Not surprising and totally understandable! Me and the bf together going to a bookstore are a danger to our wallets! We just go around here and there, and sit and end up with a gigantic pile of books... at least eBooks don't take as much space...

      Delete
  2. I LOOOOOOOVED this book! I mean, I really enjoyed Girl of Fire and Thorns, but Crown of Embers...Holy Slow-Burn Romance, Batman. And the action and political intrigue and magic and EVERYTHING, ugh. Disgustingly good.

    Right now I'm halfway through What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang - planning to knock the rest of it out this weekend! Not sure what's up next after that one. Have to consult my overflowing TBR shelves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't it just fantastic??? Just ... words fail. And I really loved What's Left of Me! I read that last weekend.

      Delete
  3. EEP! I can't wait to read this!!!

    As for recs, Venom by Fiona Paul, Kill Me Softly by Sara Cross, Send Me a Sign by Tiffany Schmidt, and 20 Boy summer by Sarah Ockler!

    Lol I'm reading 20 Boy Summer but so far it's amazing! SO EMOTIONAL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got Venom in my TBR pile, and plan on snatching up Send Me a Sign. I'll have to take a look at the others, too!

      Delete
  4. Ugh. I still haven't read book 1. Shame on me. So glad you liked this. I really need to get both and read them. Thank you for sharing this.


    I just finished Stormdancer and I'm almost finished with Dearly Beloved. Hope you like Stormdancer as much as I did.


    Jenea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, you need to get this series!! It's just phenomenal!

      Delete
  5. I'm currently reading "Between Shades of Gray" - a YA historical fiction novel by Ruta Sepetys (and zero connection to 50 shades, btw). I am totally ennamored with not only the beautiful writing, but also the window into a really brutal time in history. If only my history books in school were written like this book - then maybe I would've paid better attention.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard sooo many amazing things about that book. I really need to read it!

      Delete
  6. I SO loved this too. I loved the romance. It was perfect. And I loved seeing Elisa in her new chapter of her life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This book surpassed the first book for me, and that takes some doing. :)

      Delete
  7. Oh goodness. I clicked the link through Twitter, opened it up, and then forgot about it for a solid half hour, so I forgot where I was when I started reading. I was coming down here to hype DEFIANCE! That would sort of be like preaching to the choir, though, wouldn't it?

    Ahem. Anyways, OTHER THAN Defiance, I just finished For Darkness Shows The Stars by Diana Peterfreund. I highly recommend it for any Jane Austen fans. And though I haven't read it recently, per se, I always push The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. Just thinking about the imagery in that book makes me want to curl up and die from sheer bliss overload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Thanks for the Defiance love! :) I too adored For Darkness Shows the Stars. Just soooo good. The Book Thief is currently sitting in my TBR pile, but I know it isn't a book to approach lightly, so I'm waiting for just the right time to read it.

      Delete
  8. I am really dying to read this! Such a struggle to get in the UK though for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Even from Book Depository? Ugh! I hope you're able to snag a copy!

      Delete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails