Friday, September 21, 2012

Weekend Reading

Weekend Reading is a weekly opportunity to share books we've recently read and loved, and books we're about to read. Please feel free to share your recommendations in the comments!

This week, I read the amazing debut WHAT'S LEFT OF ME by Kat Zhang. Such a unique concept, and so well done! I found both the writing and the characters to be compelling, and the mystery was enough to keep me turning the pages. I especially enjoyed the fact that the main character doesn't respond to terrifying situations with skill and calm poise at first. She freezes in place, hopes her parents can figure out a way to protect her, or has a hard time wrapping her mind around the true scope of the threat until it's already too late.   In other words, she behaves like a normal person. I really liked that because it rang so true. And I can't wait to see what happens in the sequel! I'm betting once you finish reading this, you're going to be anxious for the sequel, too!   Here's a look at WHAT'S LEFT OF ME. 

I should not exist. But I do.

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t . . .

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable-hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet . . . for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.  

Next up on my reading list is THE DARK UNWINDING by Sharon Cameron. What have you read lately that you'd love to recommend to others? What are you reading next?  

Don't forget to enter to win a signed copy of THE UNNATURALISTS and THE CAVENDISH HOME FOR BOYS AND GIRLS.  


  1. I really, really enjoyed What's Left of Me. Kat did such a good job with an extremely tricky concept. And I'm also itching to get to The Dark Unwinding, partly because it sounds amazing and partly because Sharon is awesome. I'll be anxious to hear what you think!

    I'm currently reading Untraceable and Uncontrollable by S.R. Johannes for her blog tour, which is a bit out of my norm, but I'm enjoying them :-)

    1. Ooh, I've been meaning to read S.R. Johannes. She moderated the panel I was on in Decatur, and she is delightful.

  2. That sounds like a very interesting concept for a book!

    Last night I couldn't sleep, so I read Across The Universe and A Million Suns. I've had those in my eBook and TBR least for a quite a while and I absolutely devoured them! Now to wait for the final book!

    For this weekend, I'll probably start The Crown of Embers!

    1. Yay for Beth's series! I can't wait for book 3! And girl, yes yes YES start reading Crown of Embers. Soooo amazing.

    2. I think since I work night shift tonight, I'll reward myself with a lazy reading Saturday with Crown of Embers and a nice cup of tea!

  3. I have this one and I'm reading it next. I'm currently reading Every Day by David Levithan. It's so good.

  4. I just finished White Witch from Trish Milburn's Coven Series. Awesome. A fun read. I can't wait to get started on Bane this weekend. Highly recommend.

  5. I can't wait to be able to read this... The Dark Unwinding is really great. Hope you like it.. I am a little over half way done reading Eve and Adam..

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever

  6. I really loved this. It was such a unique idea. I was stuck in an airport when I started this and it made the whole trip enjoyable just reading her book.


People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!


Related Posts with Thumbnails