Friday, June 1, 2007

What Comes Next?

A book is like a man—clever and dull, brave and cowardly, beautiful and ugly. For every flowering thought there will be a page like a wet and mangy mongrel, and for every looping flight a tap on the wing and a reminder that wax cannot hold the feathers firm too near the sun.
- John Steinbeck


This is a comforting thought on the days when my characters are stuck in awkward moments, paused on the cusp of brilliant dialogue that refuses to emerge, chained to the middle of a chapter while their creator desperately asks herself "What comes next?"

3 comments:

  1. Ahh good quote and very good thought.

    Hang in there, things will sort themselves out.

    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. They always do. I either write through it (gritting my teeth and using interesting language) or do something else that leaves my mind free to wander around.

    The solution usually shows up around 3 am and then I have to remember it for the morning. =)

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...