Thursday, November 20, 2008
Shiny New Laptop Fairies DO Exist. Right?
Current mood: Tired, longing for bed.
Currently playing on my iPod: "Stranger Than Fiction" by Five Finger Death Punch
1. I have my laptop back now and though it still doesn't always want to acknowledge when it's plugged in, it's much better than it was and I have hope it will hold out until the Shiny New Laptop Fairy visits.
2. Yes, there's a Shiny New Laptop Fairy.
3. No, you may not burst my bubble.
4. I was told recently that I have nice, tight eyelids.
6. In the realm of Potential Compliments, I admit this is one that never crossed my mind.
7. I suppose I should be grateful after three kids that something on me still qualifies for the "nice, tight" description.
8. My To Do list for the next three days is a scary beast with jagged little teeth.
9. Any blog readers live near Pelican Bay prison in California? Del Norte County, near Crescent City...I need weather, foliage, and basic scent and atmosphere descriptions for Twisting Fate.
10. I really don't like the character I'm introducing in chapter one. He scares me.
11. Of course, if he scares me, he's going to keep YOU up at night.
12. *cracks knuckles and gives evil little laugh*
13. Seriously, though, some minds are more difficult to inhabit than others.
14. I'm going to be interviewing the incredibly smart and talented Danielle Marie soon. She's an actress (who's also been a director, a teacher, and a writer...what an invaluable resource for a writer!) who is familiar with several techniques useful for getting inside her character's head.
15. Since I write by getting inside each character's head and listening, I resonated with many of her techniques.
16. Writing is, after all, like acting out every single part in the play.
17. I'm going to continue the Get Me Started entries again next week.
18. Thank you, Jake, for the ridiculously difficult first line you handed me. I'm going to make John McCain a donkey. See if I don't.
19. Btw, you'll notice in #9 I didn't solicit first-hand descriptions from anyone with insider's experience with Pelican Bay prison...this may be an oversight on my part since I will be writing about the inside...
20. If you're a prison guard, feel free to respond. If your Internet access is limited to one hour a week and you know exactly what Monday's lunchtime surprise tastes like, don't feel obligated to answer my query. I don't need to be that accurate. It's always good for a girl to flex her imaginative muscle, know what I mean?
21. Reader Question: What qualities in a villain scare you, stick with you, and haunt you days or weeks after you've finished the book?
Happy Holidays! Do you have a book lover on your list? Or maybe YOU'RE the book lover and would love to have something special...
May has become an important month to me. In May 2003, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. In May 2004, I was pronounced "in remission...
Honestly, this is a post I never dreamed I'd write. My hands are shaky, and I'm frantically thinking through all the possible conseq...