Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Interview With Chelsea Campbell



I'm going to let you in on a secret. Yesterday, THE RISE OF RENEGADE X hit the shelves, and you want this book. No, really. You do. I'll tell you why. When I set up this interview with Chelsea, I asked her to send me the first few chapters of RenX (since it wasn't yet available in stores) so I could knowledgeably talk about it today. She complied. I decided to open the file and just check to see that it arrived in one, readable piece. I wasn't planning to read it, yet. I didn't have time, nor was I wearing my reading glasses. Five minutes later, I was deeply immersed in chapter two and wondering why I had an eye strain headache.

This book sucks you in from the first word. It's captivating. Energetic. Intriguing. And just plain AWESOME. Here's a quick peek:

Damien Locke knows his destiny–attending the university for supervillains and becoming Golden City’s next professional evil genius. But when Damien discovers he’s the product of his supervillain mother’s one-night stand with–of all people–a superhero, his best-laid plans are ruined as he’s forced to live with his superhero family.

Going to extreme lengths (and heights), The Rise of Renegade X chronicles one boy’s struggles with the villainous and heroic pitfalls of growing up.


Chelsea enthusiastically agreed to an interview with the always debonair Captain Jack Sparrow (who is preening a bit at having interviewed TWO lovely ladies on the blog this week.)

Captain Jack Sparrow



Chelsea Campbell



Now that you know who's who, it's time to dive into the interview and reveal the awesome cupcake my hubby made for Chelsea. Damien spends a lot of time hanging out on top of skyscrapers in Renegade X, so my hubby made a gorgeous skyscraper cupcake. Without further ado, here is the cupcake and Chelsea's interview with Captain Jack.



1. Would you classify yourself as a pirate or a member of Her Majesty’s Royal navy? Why?

A pirate. The navy doesn't have talking parrots.

2. Truer words, my dear. What’s your favorite thing to do in Tortuga?

Steal pirate ships.

3. Darling, you may have just stolen my heart. Shall we abscond with a poorly guarded vessel or two? I’m offering you free passage aboard my ship to anywhere in the world. Where shall we go, love?

On a tour of the Mediterranean.

4. I certainly hope that tour includes relieving a few careless owners of their ships. Who is the hero of your story most like: me (savvy, debonair, and unquestionably smooth with the ladies), the insufferably honorable Will Turner, or that deceptive little minx Elizabeth?

Oh, you, of course.

5. I do believe you and I are a match made in heaven. Rum? Or more rum?

Rum sandwich.

6. *stares at your answer* Rum ... sandwich? You would sully the purity of gut-burning rum with bread? I fail to understand the appeal. Which leads me to the age old question: Why is the rum always gone?

It's an existential thing. There is no rum, kind of like how there is no spoon.

7. My dear, based on that answer, I fear the rum is gone because you've ingested all of it. Every drop. What’s the most piratish thing you’ve ever done?

Fed a man's hand to a crocodile. Oh, wait, that's Peter Pan...

8. *casually tucks hands behind his back* Are they rules? Or more like guidelines?

Guidelines for sure. I hate rules, especially when it comes to important things, like writing.

9. Once again, we find ourselves in agreement. I understand you’re a story-teller. Any undead monkeys in your stories?

I prefer the term “reanimated.” The book is just full of reanimated primate types.

10. Really? *backs away slowly* You begin to worry me, my love. Any curses? Heartless monsters? Irritating women who insist on taking matters into their own hands?

I suppose Damien being of mixed villain and hero parentage could count as a curse. Did I mention his parents are also undead monkeys? Who are cursed and have no hearts?

11. Sweetheart, you are without a doubt the most accomplished story-teller I've ever met. One of my favorite words is “egregious.” As in "combining rum and bread is an egregious waste of rum." Care to share one of yours, love?

Gusset. It's a fun word to say, is practical, and invokes a sense of mystery, because even though I have made my fair share of gussets, I'm still not sure what they are. But I know enough to be able to say, “This thumb gusset is giving me guff!”

12. I say we sail off into the sunset and make our fair share of gussets at every turn. Parlay? Or draw your sword?

Sword. We can talk parlay while we swash some buckle.

13. Now you're talking! You’ve got a crowd of cursed sailors and a nasty sea monster on your trail. How do you escape?

Hypnotize them all into working for me. Now I'm not only out of trouble, but I got a free army, complete with sea monster!

14. I can see my fortunes will vastly improve if I stay on your good side. Romantic night in? Or adventure on the high seas?

Adventure! But realistically, a night in dreaming about adventure.

15. Darling, with me, adventure isn't just a dream. My personal motto is: Take what you want, give nothing back. What’s yours?

Coffee heals all wounds.

Thank you, Chelsea, for such a fun interview! And for writing such an awesome story. To learn more about Chelsea and her books, please visit her website. Of course, the fun isn't over yet!

Chelsea's Giveaway:

One lucky commenter will win a signed, hardback copy of THE RISE OF RENEGADE X! Three runners up will each win a fun signed bookmark! Here's how to enter:

1. Earn entries:

*Comment on this post = 1 entry

*Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

*Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (Use @cjredwine or leave url to tweet in your comment so I can see it.)

*Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries (Include link in your comment.)

2. Tally it up: Please tally up your entries and leave the total in your comment.

3. Check back: The contest is open until 8 p.m. Saturday, May 15th. Please check back to see if you've won and to claim your prize!

Good luck to all, and happy reading!

14 comments:

  1. parrots=awesome.

    Thanks for the giveaway, I am DYING for this one! :)

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 retweeted YOUR tweet @inconceivably

    Total=6

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope to one day become an author so I can be interviewed by Jack Sparrow because he makes them very enjoyable, love. :P

    I have heard great things about this and would love to win a copy!

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweeted: http://twitter.com/ssalach21/status/13861415586

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that everyone always pick pirate, & guidelines, but there's always a different funny answer for the rum questions.

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    *Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (http://twitter.com/meow_mix85/status/13861192399)

    *Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries (http://meow-mix85.blogspot.com/2010/05/contests-i-think-youll-like-5.html)

    Total = 9

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such a fun interview! Love the Rum Sandwich answer! =D
    +2 follower
    +1 comment

    Total= 3
    -cynthia
    cynthiareads@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great interview!!! Great sense of humor.

    Follow +2
    Comment +1
    Retweeted @ltat99 +3
    Total = 6

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This book sounds awesome. Can't wait to read it!

    +1 Comment
    +2 Follower
    +3 Tweet: http://twitter.com/Sparima/status/13869480594
    +3 Blog Post: http://fictionkingdom.blogspot.com/2010/05/international-contest-sunday-5.html

    Total: 9

    spav05(at)gmail(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. *sorry, I forgot my email addy*

    What a fun interview! I love that she choose Jack! I'm dying to read this. Sophie got the last one in her Border's yesterday *jealous* lol

    +1 commenting
    +2 for being a follower
    +3 for RTing @MundieMoms

    Thank you for the great contest!
    Katieb

    adminmundiemomsATgmailDOTcom

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this interview! It was so fun to read! BTW, I'm hosting a contest for RENEGADE on my blog as well, if you want to check it out! :)

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweet
    http://twitter.com/thehidingspot/status/13871552247
    +3 blog sidebar
    http://thehidingspot.blogspot.com

    Total: 9

    Thanks!
    Sara @ The Hiding Spot

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great interview! I can't wait to read this
    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweeted https://twitter.com/jpetroroy/status/13871636709

    Total: 6

    jpetroroy at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  11. This book looks so great! I love how you have Jack Sparrow as the interviewer :)

    +1 for commenting
    +2 for following

    librarylurker@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOVE the concept of this book! Can't wait to read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great interview & I love that skyscraper cupcake!! :)

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 Tweet:
    http://twitter.com/TheEagerReaders/status/14044479848
    +3 Blog (included in post + sidebar):
    http://theeagerreaders.blogspot.com/2010/05/flower-friday-candytuft.html

    Total = 9

    theeagerreaders[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL. Chelsea getting hit on by Jack Sparrow. What would Damien say?!

    liyanaland[at]gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...