Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Writing Process: Setting

Creating a vivid setting in the reader's mind is paramount to excellent writing.

I've been thinking about setting recently and comparing some of my favorite authors. It's been interesting to note that their methods varied widely. =)

J.K. Rowling is hands-down one of the best at "world-building", which, to my mind, is more intricate and involved than merely creating a setting. What I love about her writing is that she just dives in without undo explanation and before you know it, you are captured by her voice, her world, and it unfolds in glorious brilliance in your mind. You find yourself unfazed by moving portraits, leaping chocolate frogs, and patronus' (is that the correct plural?) winging through the woods.

Rowling adds description at the beginning of each new location, sprinkles additional details between her dialogue, and, one of her best qualities, always tags on a phrase or two with the entrance of each character to ensure that the reader instantly identifies with each unique character on the scene.

Dean Koontz approaches setting with languid, lovely prose. He takes two pages at the beginning of a chapter to slowly build his scene and his gift is that his imagery is so captivating, the heavy description doesn't interrupt the flow of his writing. He is one of few writer's I've read where two pages of description never elicits an eye roll from me. He is the consumate story-teller, unafraid to take his time and talented enough not to waste mine.

J.D. Robb builds the setting for her In Death series in short, pithy observations from the POV of Eve, her main character. Since the series is set in the future, Robb skillfully weaves details (paying with credits, tubes of Pepsi, riding a glider, soy dogs) throughout her dialogue and action so that the reader is completely submerged in her futuristic world seamlessly and completely. There are few long paragraphs of description - that would hinder the pace of a murder mystery - so she carefully crafts sentences that deliver both setting and tone.

So, I'm curious. What works for you as a reader in creating a vivid setting in your mind? What do you admire in other authors? What do you use yourself?

1 comment:

  1. Setting as, oddly enough, been something I'm struggling with lately. :D It's odd for two reasons. One that I usually "see" the stories I'm writing. They play in my head like movies so the main challenge was getting what I could see into words on a page so others could see.

    The original draft of RP was description heavy. The early readers said though that they really could see everything. But sometimes I got carried away. *snickers* Hence the 176k word count I think.

    I like both methods in the books that I read. Simon Green opens his Deathstalker series with two pages about the planet the story is going to open on and it worked for me.

    I agree with you about Rowling. *nods* She just flows and next thing you know you've read this 7 book series with over 100 characters (I think judging by the Wikipedia entry on characters!) and this amazing world that's so very different from our own but doesn't seem to require that much explanation.

    Katy

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...