Tuesday, August 5, 2008

But You HAVE Heard Of Me

On Danielle's blog, she posted her top ten movies of all time and I thought, "Ha! Another great idea to shamelessly pilfer for my own uses!" Her criteria for choosing her movies was this: What would I want to watch over and over again if I was on a deserted island (albeit one with a flat screen tv, surround sound, and a DVD player).

Using that same criteria, I've chosen my top ten movies (in no particular order):



1. Lord of the Rings: While I love the entire trilogy, the first movie is my clear favorite. I adore the Ring Wraiths. And Gandalf's performance. And of course, the chunk of film devoted to the hilarity that is Merry and Pippin.


2. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix: Again, I love the whole series but the latest installment captured me the most. I think it was the whole battle scene in the Department of Mysteries. Plus Harry's inner torment. And of course, the visual banquet that is any Harry Potter flick.


3. The Princess Bride: This may just be the perfect movie. Inconceivable? Not even if you're mostly dead. =)


4. The Dark Knight: Having already devoted an entire post to the brilliance of Ledger's performance, I won't rhapsodize anew. Suffice it to say, it's a 2 1/2 hour movie that I've already seen twice in one week. That's love, people. That's love.


5. Mary Poppins: Again, a perfect movie. Dick Van Dyke and Julie Andrews together...it doesn't get any better than that.


6. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: This is such a refreshingly different visual masterpiece (plus it has a really tough female lead) that I can't get enough.


7. Get Smart: Another flawless comedy. Wit, action, and a plot that holds up.


8. Back to the Future: Okay, I know...it's all very 80's. Still, give me my 1.21 jigawatts over most of the tripe currently produced by Hollywood any day.


9. Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl: We all know I'd take all three pirate movies in a heartbeat but if I'm forced to pick one, I'd take the first. I can't find a single thing wrong with it.


10. Arsenic and Old Lace: If you haven't seen this hilarious classic, add this to your Netflix list and enjoy. Cary Grant, crazy old ladies, and bodies in the window seat. What more do you need?

7 comments:

  1. Good List. Maybe I'll have to actually do a blog about this now. Would be strangely similar to yours though. =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol. I bet it's similar. I also bet you haven't seen Arsenic and Old Lace. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list. We have very similar tastes in film. My number 1 film of all time, though, is The Crow. Can't help it. I love Brandon Lee in it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I find being pilfered to be a great honor. And, if you're going to pilfer- always do so shamelessly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I second Pirates (the first one) and of course, Mary Poppins...one of my all time faves! Now, I want to see Arsenic and Old Lace. :) Glad you had a great trip, CJ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE Arsenic and Old Lace!!! How could you not? Great choice, I must say!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My list would be similar, but with a few differences: Big Trouble (with Tim Allen) and Keeping Mum (with Rowan Atkinson & Kristin Scott Thomas) would have to be on it... Might have to throw Harvey (James Stewart) on the list, too, now that I think about it.

    Arsenic and Old Lace--classic! One of my favorites--anything Cary Grant!

    Okay, I obviously can't have a Top Ten. I may have to have a Top Twenty or Top Thirty...

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...