Wednesday, August 13, 2008
1. Daredevil is a lover of words. *wipes away a tear of pride* He reads, journals, and types his own stories on the computer, just like his mom.
2. I never thought his ever-expanding vocabulary would rear its locquacious little head and bite me in the posterior (having an extensive repertoire of words myself) but it did.
3. I lost to Daredevil in Scrabble.
4. I never lose at Scrabble.
5. How did I lose? We established that the definition of a usable word was one that could be used in a book.
6. He whipped out the following word: "Zooweemama" and when I protested, he yanked out his Diary of a Wimpy Kid book and sure enough, there it was.
7. In Scrabble, there's no coming back from a word like Zooweemama.
8. I've been watching the Olympics and find myself totally inspired by our men's swim team. Not just Michael Phelps (who is completely amazing), but the whole team.
9. Watching the finish of the men's 400m relay was absolutely incredible. Jason Lezak just flat out refused to lose. Refused.
10. He closed the distance between himself and Bernard (that Smack Talking Frenchman whose performance couldn't quite match his own predictions) and passed him by 8 hundredths of a second.
11. No one thought he could. The announcers were already forecasting the U.S. team as fighting for the bronze but Jason Lezak didn't show up that day to win the bronze. He wanted gold.
12. He got it.
13. I may have to do a post where I discuss how lessons learned from Olympians apply to writing.
14. Speaking of writing, the synopsis for SF went better than I thought.
15. It also revealed what I'd already suspected: I jumped the gun on my climactic moment and need to go back and insert a few more chapters to flesh it out and make it all work.
16. This week will be spent writing additional scenes and inserting them into the manuscript.
17. I've sent out the last of my requested partials and now just have to finish up the added scenes, polish the ending, and do a thorough reading of the entire manuscript to catch any extra dialogue tags, adverbs, or other mistakes I refuse to allow.
18. Ooooh, I almost forgot. Fun news!! I have some giveaways for the blog: paperbacks I picked up at RWA (mostly paranormal, but a few others) and I'm working on getting some cool cds from my neighbor who works for a distribution center and can get me stuff like Red, Fireflight, Third Day etc.
19. Reader Question: If you were sentenced to three months in an isolation chamber (let's pretend those exist) and could only take 1 book, 1 movie, and 1 cd with you, what would you take?