Thursday, January 8, 2009
Today is my 35th birthday, and while I don't feel especially philosophical this morning, I wanted to take a look at the upcoming year and jot down a few things I want to accomplish. (Naturally, the anal part of my personality refuses to allow me to make a list of anything less or more than 35!)
1. Reorganize my workspace. (This entails new office furniture, filing systems, and an idea board on the wall. Plus the hanging of my favorite Captain Jack Sparrow poster for inspiration.)
2. Develop the habit of walking the 1.6 miles around my neighborhood four days a week.
3. Work on two writing projects at the same time.
4. Get rid of all the stuff I no longer use.
5. Hang out with my kids every chance I get.
6. Get some comfortable chairs or a swing for my front porch.
7. Get to know the employees of my local bookstore by name.
8. Resist all homicidal impulses while I'm at work.
9. Oh, fine. Resist all homicidal impulses period. There. Happy?
10. Do something special with each boy each month for that rare one on one time.
11. Go on a date with my hubby every month.
12. Cut fried foods out of my diet.
13. Bake bread.
14. Get to the bottom of the ironing pile just once. Once.
15. Better give myself two years to accomplish that.
16. Travel to China to bring home my daughter.
17. Go back to Chicago for a day.
18. Help Daredevil publish a comic book.
19. Read at least 50 books.
20. Play tag on our front lawn.
21. Teach Starshine how to keep his room clean.
22. Enjoy the quiet when I've got it.
23. Get up early 5 days a week to write.
24. Do better about keeping up with my Live Journal.
25. Maybe post once a week?
26. Bake cookies often.
27. Call my friends just to check in.
28. Develop friendships within my local writers group.
29. Have the good sense to steer clear of any head injuries this year.
30. Blog daily (or just about) on The Last Word.
31. Sign with an agent.
32. Show my hubby how much I appreciate him.
33. I can't think of any more.
34. And I really have to get ready to go to work now.
35. So these last three will be left open so I can be flexible and add things to the list as I feel like doing them.
Happy Holidays! Do you have a book lover on your list? Or maybe YOU'RE the book lover and would love to have something special...
May has become an important month to me. In May 2003, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. In May 2004, I was pronounced "in remission...
Honestly, this is a post I never dreamed I'd write. My hands are shaky, and I'm frantically thinking through all the possible conseq...