Look Before You Leap
1. I had a very nice Mother's Day.
2. Earlier that week, NOT in the context of giving gift ideas for Mother's Day, I told my hubby I really, really wanted an electric pencil sharpener.
3. I despise our current manual sharpener because the end is too big so you never really get pencils anything more than sort-of sharp and I like very sharp pencils.
4. So...the first present I opened on Mother's Day was an electric pencil sharpener.
5. I have no one to blame but myself.
6. If I'd rhapsodized on and on about wanting, say, a new bookcase or a new pair of stilettos, my day would have gone much differently.
7. What does it say about me that I was totally jazzed to get the pencil sharpener?
9. Starshine wrote a Mother's Day poem to me which included the phrase "You are smooth like butter."
10. Apparently something needed to rhyme with "mother."
11. On Saturday morning, Starshine woke me up by handing me Spastic Kitten.
12. Spastic Kitten was oddly damp.
13. Starshine then proceeded to tell me the following: "Sam needs a bath. She jumped into the toilet while I was peeing."
14. *pause for appropriate motherly over-reaction*
15. Hopefully, I've impressed upon him the dire importance of alerting me to Spastic Kitten's unfortunate situation before shoving her into bed with me.
15. I read Lilith Saintcrow's (writing as Lili St. Crow) new YA novel STRANGE ANGELS this weekend and absolutely adored it.
16. The heroine had a strong, unique voice, the characters came alive off the page, her world-building was superb (as always), and there was so much action, I couldn't bear to put the book down.
17. Reader Question: Read any good books lately? Which ones would you recommend?