Thursday, May 20, 2010

Interview With Jeaniene Frost



When people ask me to recommend a paranormal author for them to try, the first name out of my mouth is always Jeaniene Frost. Her writing is fast-paced, compelling, and fun. Her plots twist and turn, her characters are vivid, and I can't wait to gobble up everything she writes. If you're a vampire fan, this is the author you should be reading. Trust me.

Her latest book, FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON, is just as awesome as the others. I devoured it in one day. Here's a peek at the book:

The night is not safe for mortals.

Denise MacGregor knows all too well what lurks in the shadows – her best friend is half-vampire Cat Crawfield – and she has already lost more than the average human could bear. But her family’s dark past is wrapped in secrets and shrouded in darkness – and a demon shapeshifter has marked Denise as prey. Now her survival depends on an immortal who craves a taste of her.

He is Spade, a powerful, mysterious vampire who has walked the earth for centuries and is now duty-bound to protect this endangered, alluring human – even if it means destroying his own kind. Denise may arouse his deepest hungers, but Spade knows he must fight his urge to have her as they face the demon nightmare together…

Because once the first drop of crimson falls, they will both be lost.


I'm thrilled to have Jeaniene on the blog today. She chose to be interviewed by the always smooth Captain Jack Sparrow.

Captain Jack



Jeaniene Frost



Now that you know who's who, it's time to dive into the interview and reveal the super awesome cupcake my hubby made for Jeaniene. Since Spade is a vampire (and thus, technically, dead) and the book is about the first drop of crimson, my hubby made a tombstone for Spade complete with a serious set of vampire fangs piercing the stone and, of course, blood. Without further ado, I give you the cupcake and Jeaniene's interview with Captain Jack.



1. Would you classify yourself as a pirate or a member of Her Majesty’s Royal navy? Why?

I wouldn’t want to be a member of the Royal Navy that was portrayed in your movies, that’s for sure. But in reality, I’d probably pick the Navy. Piracy looks like fun, but it has an awful version of a 401K (that would be a hangman’s rope, if I recall), and I seem to remember people acting as if you and the other pirates were – how shall I say this delicately? – a bit ripe in the aroma area. No one wants to be Sir or Sister Smelly if they can avoid it, in my opinion.



2. *sniffs the air* I'm sure I don't know what you're talking about, love. What’s your favorite thing to do in Tortuga?

Oh, it would be so awesome to roam about 18th century Tortuga with a camera! Imagine all the incredible things you’d see when it was run solely by pirates. Of course, you’d need a lot of body guards to go along with that camera. Probably need lots of hand sanitizer, too. And a mask for the smell. And ye gods, it would’ve been hot there without air conditioning invented yet. Not to mention lack of bathroom facilities, or toothpaste, or deodorant, or…

You know what? I think I’ll skip Tortuga, thanks anyway ;-).



3. *raises a brow* Forgive me for pointing this out, my dear, but I detect an unhealthy obsession with personal hygiene. You may want to consider loosening the corset a bit. I’m offering you free passage aboard my ship to anywhere in the world. Where shall we go, love?

England first, then Scotland. Would love to visit both those places. England has so many monuments, galleries, and cemeteries that I want to see, and Scotland has Loch Ness, countless historical areas, men in skirts, and everyone talking in cool brogues. As for traveling by boat – why, Jack, how did you know that I hated to fly??


4. If we were meant to fly, why would God have given us boats? I am a trifle concerned about your desire to see men in skirts, but to each his own, I always say. Who is the hero of your story most like: me (savvy, debonair, and unquestionably smooth with the ladies), the insufferably honorable Will Turner, or that deceptive little minx Elizabeth?

The hero in FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON, Spade, is like a mix of you and Will Turner, actually. Spade is suave, definitely debonair, has no trouble getting dates, but also has a strong streak of honor. And a dangerous streak if crossed. He’s a great man to have at your back in a fight, but you wouldn’t want to tick him off.

And, uh, since Spade is a vampire and can control where the blood goes in his body, he never has to worry about his “compass” being broken, whereas I seem to remember you had some problems with your compass, Jack. Hee hee!



5. Rum? Or more rum? Not that I'm sharing a single drop of rum with someone who casts aspersions upon my compass. I was tired. And a bit stressed from being hunted by everyone and their parrot. Also, it was cold. *guzzles rum and glares*

Neither. I don’t drink alcohol, but I am a caffeine addict, so it’s coffee in the morning for me – and you do NOT want to ever stand in the way of me and my coffee – and then Coke Zero the rest of the day for me.


6. Coffee and Coke Zero, eh? How kind of you to leave all the rum to me. Which leads me to the age old question: Why is the rum always gone?

Really, Jack, has anyone told you that you might want to check out an AA meeting? Just sayin’…


7. First you question my compass, now you want to divest me of my rum forever? A pox upon you. What’s the most piratish thing you’ve ever done? Besides try to take my rum.

Hmm. Probably getting drunk and then leaping off a moving boat into the Atlantic Ocean – which might explain better than anything else why I no longer drink. Some people can’t handle their liquor. I am definitely one of those people.


8. My darling, if I had a gold coin for every time I leaped from a moving boat into the ocean, I'd be rich. Are they rules? Or more like guidelines?

Rules, of course. If you don’t know what the rules are, how will you know when it’s a good idea to break them? And if there were no rules, then there would be no rebels, and how boring would the world be without rebels?


9. I may have misjudged you. In the same way you misjudged my compass. Lace up your corset again and welcome aboard! Any friend to rebels is a friend of mine. I understand you’re a story-teller. Any undead monkeys in your stories?

No undead monkeys. Lots of undead other things, though. My hero is a vampire. My heroine is a human who gets branded by a demon, which is my villain. Add that to ghosts, ghouls, and some occasional black magic, and you have a lot more dangerous creatures than an undead monkey.


10. Spoken like a woman who's never run afoul of an undead monkey. *shudders* Any curses? Heartless monsters? Irritating women who insist on taking matters into their own hands?

Curses, no. Heartless monsters, sure, but those aren’t as easy to spot as you think in my books. What makes someone a monster isn’t limited to whether that person is human or not. Monstrosity comes from within first. Irritating women who take matters into their own hands? Of course! If all women just sat there and waited for men to rescue them, they’d die of old age. Or get killed by the villain, whichever came first.


11. One of my favorite words is “egregious.” Care to share one of yours, love?

Obfuscation. It’s defined as deliberately making communication unnecessarily hard to understand. Don’t you love the irony of a big, confusing word being chosen to show that using big, confusing words in speech makes it harder for people to understand you?


12. I've always adored irony. Parlay? Or draw your sword?

If you asked me, I’d say parlay all the way, baby! Lol. But if you asked my characters, they would draw their swords. And then talk about negotiating.


13. There's nothing wrong with parlaying your head off a chopping block so you can live to fight another day. You’ve got a crowd of cursed sailors and a nasty sea monster on your trail. How do you escape?

Easy. Call the head of a television network and pitch a new reality show called Survivor: Pirates Cove, with the condition that I’ll tell him/her where all these fabulous, money-making creatures are as long as I’m rescued from them. See? *grin* Told you I’m all about the parlaying instead of fighting.


14. Your parlaying skills are formidable, my love. Romantic night in? Or adventure on the high seas?

With how little free time I’ve had lately, this is a no-brainer. Romantic night in! Preferably with the phone, internet, TV, DVD, and cell phones disconnected. It’s so hard to get uninterrupted time with my husband, so that sounds more appealing to me than a high seas adventure. Besides, hubby’s prone to seasickness anyway.

15. My dear, I don't believe I invited your husband to come along. My personal motto is: Take what you want, give nothing back. What’s yours?

The only difference between an author and a schizophrenic is a paycheck.


Thank you, Jeaniene, for such a fun interview! And for writing such awesome stories. To learn more about Jeaniene and her books, please visit her website. You can also go here to see the book trailer for FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON and to read the first 20% of the book for free. Of course, the fun isn't over yet!

Jeaniene's Giveaway:

One lucky commenter will win a signed copy of FIRST DROP OF CRIMSON! International entries welcome. Here's how to enter:

1. Earn entries:

*Comment on this post with a question or comment for Jeaniene = 1 entry

*Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

*Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (Use @cjredwine or leave url to tweet in your comment so I can see it.)

*Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries (Include link in your comment.)


2. Tally it up: Please tally up your entries and leave the total in your comment.


3. Check back: The contest is open until 8 p.m. Saturday, May 22nd. Please check back to see if you've won and to claim your prize!


Good luck to all, and happy reading!

29 comments:

  1. Hee! Awesome interview!

    (*you don't have to put me in the drawing, I bought DoC a while back ... and also devoured it in a day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Captain Jack!

    Jeaniene, I love your motto and your idea of a Survivor show... that one I might watch. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. CJ and Jeaniene~
    K, I'm all over your book, Jeaniene, since CJ said it's her first recommend when someone asks about paranormals, b/c I LOVE CJ's urban funky fantasy writing, so if she says someone else is good, so they must be.

    Thanks for the interview, Jeaniene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview and I love all of Jeanine's books! And I would definitely choose to go to England and Scotland, and some men can pull of wearing those skirts!

    +2 I'm a follower

    total entries:3

    lilazncutie1215 @ yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE LOVE LOVE All the jeanienes books and can never get enough. I reread them all numerous times! Can't wait for the ret of Cats books to come out on audio! Love love love her books!!
    Just one entry for me, for this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun interview!! And I love the idea of Survivor, especially as an addict of the show. Very ingenius :)

    +2 for following
    Total: 3 entries!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was an amazing interview! I was laughing my butt off the whole time!
    I'm a follower. I tweeted here...
    http://twitter.com/dukesangel002/status/14375242436

    6 entries
    dukesangel002(at)yahoo(dot)com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... feels like I parlay my head off the chopping block every day.

    Ah, Jack, you are always a thrilling interviewer. Thanks for coming aboard, Jeaniene!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, I'm copying that motto into my quotes book. It's perfect. Great interview! Thanks for pointing out yet another awesome writer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That was a very interesting interview, RP Jack Sparrow! =D I love Jeaniene Frost even more, she is just an awesome person, it makes reading her books even better!
    There's a Spade shower scene so F-ing hot in this book, it tops CH's Eric and Sookie shower scene! That's a lot, specially since there's no sex-act in it! *swoons*

    http://lanilani.tumblr.com/post/616719259/the-last-word-interview-with-jeaniene-frost

    (+1 Comment / +2 Follower / +3 Tweet / +3 Tumblr post) Total entries = 9

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeaniene I am such a HUGE fan you have no idea. I have always been an avid reader but never has anyone left me feeling like I simply can't bear to wait for more. My question is about Vlad. I am not sure why but I feel this strange need for him to have his own story and I was wondering if you were planning on doing it for the spin off series.
    (1 for comment, 2 for subscribing and 3 for tweet= 6 entries)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That was so cute. I love Jack. 1 entry for me thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jeaniene, CJ recommended you to me last year and I immediately fell in love with Cat and Bones. I spent many sleepless nights reading your books because I couldn't bear to stop turning the pages. Oh, and are there pictures of your fateful plunge into the sea?

    Contest entry: 9

    Link to blog: http://wantonactsofwriting.wordpress.com/2010/05/20/captain-jack-sparrow-interviews-jeaniene-frost/

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love this interview, C.J.! So cool of you to employ Captain Jack to interview authors for you! I hope to read more like Jeaniene's in the future.

    Please enter me into the contest to win a copy of First Drop of Crimson. I'm a blog follower, I've tweeted about the interview and posted to my blog about it as well (9 entries in total). Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I *love* Jeaniene's motto! I'm adopting that for myself as well. But I guess I need a paycheck before the men in the white coats come for me.

    Jeaniene, I haven't read your books before, but now I definitely want to try one.

    Entries: 6 (follower and tweeted)

    Thanks!
    Jami G.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi everyone! Thanks for coming out. Love reading all your comments.

    Re-"My question is about Vlad. I am not sure why but I feel this strange need for him to have his own story and I was wondering if you were planning on doing it for the spin off series."

    Actually, I will be pitching a new series with Vlad to my publisher the next time we talk contracts, which will be in a few months. Will still be writing Cat and Bones, of course, but wanted to give Vlad his own spotlight, too. Cross your fingers for me that they'll like the idea :).

    Re-"are there pictures of your fateful plunge into the sea?"

    Thank God, no. Everyone else on the boat was too busy laughing (and circling around to fish me out) to snap a picture.

    Thank again to all who commented, and special thanks to C.J. and to Jack my-compass-isn't-broken-it-was-just-cold-out Sparrow (ROTFL!).

    ReplyDelete
  17. This book sounds interesting. I am a big Frost Fan.

    Here is my ReTweet link:
    http://twitter.com/beadedchihuahua

    ReplyDelete
  18. Funny interview! I love your motto, Jeaniene and I really, really, really hope that Vlad does get his own book!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, that was hilarious.

    I am a follower of the blog.

    Twitter: http://twitter.com/liddlshortydemo

    Blog: http://kclapsadl.blogspot.com/2010/05/jeaniene-frost.html

    Total entries: 9

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love your motto! I may just have to adopt that one :) The book sounds like a fun story!

    (3 entries)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jeaniene,

    You had me at Coke Zero! =)

    Awesome interview! I love how you gave it to Jack Sparrow so hard. Can't wait to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just finished reading the Night Huntress series again, for what is most likely the 120th time- each time they just get better and better

    Saw your comment about the Vlad series! I will be crossing my fingers for that one! he is most certainly my favorite character.

    Much luck to you! <3

    and Cap'n I tweeted the link because I just had to so 3 entries for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. OMG, it was cold - ha! If I had a dollar...

    Anyway, hilarious! Always glad to see one of my faves being spotlighted. I brought and read FDOC the day it dropped but would LOVE to have a signed copy. And triple squee on the Vlad pitch!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jeaniene, you are a new for me author. i would really like to read this book ! Enter me in :)

    * Comment on this post = 1 entry

    * a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    * Tweet the link = 3 entries
    http://twitter.com/becunique/status/14413515112

    Tally it up: 6 entries

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great interview! I love your Night Huntress series, looking forward to reading the spin off series.


    van
    Littopandaxpress(at)yahoo(dot)com

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 twittered: http://twitter.com/vanpham88/status/14413577396

    ReplyDelete
  26. +1 Great interview! I watched the trailer...very nice!

    +2 follower

    = 3

    throuthehaze at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great interview! Thanks!

    * Comment on this post = 1 entry
    * Follower of this blog = 2 entries
    * Tweet the link = 3 entries
    http://twitter.com/SzAngi
    Total entries: 6 entries

    ReplyDelete
  28. Fantastic interview! Way to get the better of old Captain Jack :) Love the Night Huntress books, Jeaniene, and I can't wait to read this one.

    I tweeted (@cjredwine), follow, and posted about the contest in my blog (http://gretchenstull.blogspot.com/2010/05/jeaniene-frost-at-last-word.html)
    Total entries = 9

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I would love to go to Scotland too. They have the Highland games and I think it would be very nice to watch those, live and in person.
    I'm a follower
    http://twitter.com/Stacy_Stewart/status/14557347937
    Total: 5
    Thanks....Stacy
    samnstacyATmeDOTcom

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...