Monday, February 16, 2009
Bananas, Pickles, and Romance
1. The kittens now own the downstairs. Tinks has made several forays into the upstairs and Carly made up two steps before rethinking her strategy and returning to the safety of her favorite couch.
2. They bring us joy.
3. The Scientist and I were running errands the other day when he began to question me about potassium--the benefits and the most accessible sources.
4. This is not an uncommon line of thinking for the Scientist, who wants to know every detail about everything.
5. I explained that bananas are a great source of potassium and said that I thought it helped give a person energy and boost brain power.
6. He then said the following: "Well, bananas would be a good thing to have with you in case of an emergency, then."
7. Me: "What kind of emergency?"
8. Scientist: "You know. In case someone faints. If bananas give energy right away, that's a great way to bring around a person who's fainted."
9. Me: "Weeeelll, maybe. But how could you get a person who's fainted to eat the banana?"
10. Scientist: "The best method would be to cut it into tiny pieces and force them to chew. But, if it's an emergency, I guess you'd have to just shove chunks of it down their throat."
11. Never fear. I'm steering him away from a career as a paramedic.
12. Yesterday, I was teaching our 3 year olds Sunday school class and we were talking about Valentine's Day. I asked them if they thought God wanted a Valentine from us and they all agreed yes. Then I asked them if they had anything to give God for a Valentine.
13. One little boy's hand shot into the air.
14. I looked at him and asked, "What do you have to give God for a Valentine?"
15. "I've got gas!" he said.
16. And as I choked down my laughter, he added thoughtfully, "And pickles."
17. Last night, my hubby and his friends cooked an amazing dinner for their wives. We hosted it at my house and the men surprised us with a masseuse as well.
18. It was a wonderful evening, even if they did take a blowtorch to my antique china tea cups during the making of creme brulee. =D
19. Today, I'll be doing laundry (I know, I know. Shocking.) and taking the kids to see Pink Panther 2 this afternoon.
20. Reader Question: If you could re-read one favorite book this year, which would it be?
Happy Holidays! Do you have a book lover on your list? Or maybe YOU'RE the book lover and would love to have something special...
May has become an important month to me. In May 2003, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer. In May 2004, I was pronounced "in remission...
Honestly, this is a post I never dreamed I'd write. My hands are shaky, and I'm frantically thinking through all the possible conseq...