Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Drop It Like It's Hot



1. I totally meant to post a cheery little Merry Christmas message here on December 25th, BUT I got a little distracted by this.

2. That's right, my sister and I went to see Sherlock Holmes on Christmas Day.

3. I've been actively salivating ... er ... looking forward to this since I saw the first trailer in August.

4. It was well-worth the months of anticipation. Downey and Law are Holmes and Watson and the script is a masterful blend of humor, intrigue, complicated relationships, action, and Holmes' trademark brilliance. The new aspects brought to the two characters by director Guy Ritchie served to breathe new life into a well-loved classic. When the movie ended, I was more than willing to sit for another two hours and watch it again.

5. I didn't.

6. But only because I knew the next show was sold out.

7. The other day, the Scientist had a conversation with me that went like this:

Me: *responding to some sort of amazing trick the Scientist did with his new Nerf gun* Hey! That's really cool!

Scientist: Mom. *shakes head with pity* Please don't. You aren't hip anymore. You need to accept it and move on.

Me: *gives spawn the Beady Eye* Not hip?

Scientist: Totally not.

Me: Really? Have you ever dropped it like it's hot? No? Well, come back to me when you have and then we'll talk.

8. I bet he tells his friends I'm crazy to cut short the inevitable speculation when they come for a visit.

9. Tonight, we spent an hour at Chuck E. Cheese, that bastion of noise and chaos.

10. While we were there, I saw an EMO EIGHT YEAR OLD.

11. I do not jest.

12. He had the skinny girl's jeans, at least a two sizes too small, that only covered half of his captain's quarters. His shirt was also two sizes two small and he had the whole emo hair thing going on (All the better to do a hair-flip, Mom!).

13. I truly believe in self-expression and will allow my children to choose their clothes, hair style, piercings etc. as long as they don't look like they're part of a Vegas show. Yanno, the kind where singles are the only currency available.

14. But I don't get an 8 year old emo.

15. Just don't.

16. Either he's supremely messed up or supremely confident in who he is.

17. I'm rooting for confident.

7 comments:

  1. "Really? Have you ever dropped it like it's hot? No? Well, come back to me when you have and then we'll talk."

    That got me laughing. Way too funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yey! I loved Holmes, too... even reviewed it :D
    And emo 8 year olds are not as uncommon as we would hope. I still don't get how it happens. The context of that emo 8 year old in a CHUCK E CHEESE cracks me up, though. Angst and skee ball don't really seem to go together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. CHUCK E CHEESE. No. Make it stop. The horror. The PIZZA. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ahhh, I remember the days when I was cool! Now I don't even know what an EMO is.....so sad. NM Mom

    ReplyDelete
  5. I intend to someday drop it like it is hot. This I swear.

    I've never actually seen an emo kid in the wild. I feel kind of inadequate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. AngDot - "Emo kid in the wild" *snickers*

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...