Thursday, March 26, 2009

Ambition. He's Got It.

A few days ago, Starshine and I were discussing his plans for the future. I approached this topic with a great deal of interest. This is the child who announced at his kindergarten graduation (After a string of other kids said stuff like "Fireman," "Cowboy," and "Soldier") in answer to the "What Do You Want To Be When You Grow Up" question--"I want to be an ice cream truck man. But my mom is going to drive the truck."

Naturally, I figured any occupation that left me OUT of the equation would be an improvement. I was pleasantly surprised. The conversation went like this:

Me: So, what do you want to be when you grow up?

Starshine: *considers this seriously* I think I want to work on cases.

Me: Cases?

Starshine: Yeah, you know. Gather evidence and help the cops arrest the bad guys.

Me: Wow! That's really cool. You want to be an investigator.

Starshine: Like with the FBI.

Me: I like that. You want to be an FBI agent. *is busy thinking how having her son as an FBI agent totally trumps Paul's county sheriff status and thus grants her some sort of immunity for any future crimes committed.*

Starshine: And if that doesn't work out, I have a back-up plan.

Me: What's that?

Starshine: I'll be a kindergarten teacher and teach the kids stuff like the color indigo, and how to read, and how to write their name.

Me: Cool!

Starshine: I'll give them a piece of candy to keep them quiet.

Me: Hmm.

Starshine: And if both of those don't work out, I'm just going to be an anteater.

Me: An anteater?! Why would you want to be an anteater?

Starshine: *gives me the "Gee, Mom asks some pretty stupid questions" look* Because I want to eat ants.

And thus ended our discussion of future career options for Starshine. =D

4 comments:

  1. AngDot's ambitions:

    1. Live in Washington or Oregon.

    2. Work in a coffee shop (a real one, not Starbucks) or Voodoo Doughnuts.

    3. Own a pair of Converse.

    4. That's it.

    5. No, seriously.

    I was described in high school as having "a dismaying lack of ambition," so I believe this is evidence of a slacker gene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to be a scarecrow. But that's better than someone else we both know (more info later) who wanted to be a belly dancer.

    I mean...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry - Those ambitions show a distinct level of self-confidence to me. She knows who she is and what she's comfortable doing. And she can totally rock the whole Converse thing. (Remember when those were all the rage for boys in the 80's? Wierd that we're old enough for fashion to circle around again.)

    Myra - A scarecrow! That's unique. Do you have something against crows? Or is this rooted in the Wizard of Oz? I always wanted to be a superhero with serious magical powers.

    And LOL on the belly dancing. She is DEFINITELY hearing about that from me when I see her on Sunday. *grins*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, that's just like Zack...and you...=)

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...