Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Interview With Lisa Mantchev



I first met Lisa Mantchev last year on Twitter a few months before her first novel, EYES LIKE STARS, hit the shelves. We struck up a conversation, discovered a mutual love of cupcakes, and before I knew it, an ARC (advanced reading copy) was on its way to me, and she was set to do a series of guest posts on my blog. The ARC arrived, and I devoured it in one gulp. EYES LIKE STARS is enchanting, gorgeous and breathtakingly unique. I was captivated from the start and thought about the story long after I'd reached The End. I've waited a year to get my hands on the sequel, and thought it only fitting to have Lisa back on the blog to celebrate the release of her next amazing story. Here's a peek at PERCHANCE TO DREAM:

Growing up in the enchanted Thèâtre Illuminata, Beatrice Shakespeare Smith learned everything about every play ever written. She knew the Players and their parts, but she didn’t know that she, too, had magic. Now, she is the Mistress of Revels, the Teller of Tales, and determined to follow her stars. She is ready for the outside world.

But the outside world soon proves more topsy-turvy than any stage production. Bertie can make things happen by writing them, but outside the protective walls of the Thèâtre, nothing goes as planned. And her magic cannot help her make a decision between—

Nate: Her suave and swashbuckling pirate, now in mortal peril.

Ariel: A brooding, yet seductive, air spirit whose true motives remain unclear.

When Nate is kidnapped and taken prisoner by the Sea Goddess, only Bertie can free him. She and her fairy sidekicks embark on a journey aboard the Thèâtre’s caravan, using Bertie’s word magic to guide them. Along the way, they collect a sneak-thief, who has in his possession something most valuable, and meet The Mysterious Stranger, Bertie’s father—and the creator of the scrimshaw medallion. Bertie’s dreams are haunted by Nate, whose love for Bertie is keeping him alive, but in the daytime, it’s Ariel who is tantalizingly close, and the one she is falling for. Who does Bertie love the most? And will her magic be powerful enough to save her once she enters the Sea Goddess’s lair?


Lisa chose to be interviewed by the always charming Captain Jack Sparrow.

Captain Jack



Lisa Mantchev



In Lisa's books, the heroine Bertie is "helped" (And often hindered!) by a handful of mischievous, pasty-loving fairies who consistently provide comic relief. It's not uncommon to see a fairy with excellent intentions be sidetracked and sidelined by a gorgeous piece of cake. My hubby decided to enter the spirit of fairy fun with the cupcake he made for Lisa. So, without further ado, I give you the cupcake (titled Beware Of The Bewitching Cupcake, or What Happens When Tiny Fairy Meets Giant Cupcake) and Lisa's interview.



1. Would you classify yourself as a pirate or a member of Her Majesty’s Royal navy? Why?

Definitely pirate. I don't like playing by the rules. The actual presence of rules chafes like 100 grit sandpaper. (Ok, not completely... some rules are actually helpful, but knowing when to break them is key.)


2. A pirate, eh? I like where this is heading. What’s your favorite thing to do in Tortuga?

Plunder and pillage like it's Halloween!


3. My kind of woman! I’m offering you free passage aboard my ship to anywhere in the world. Where shall we go, love?

Mmmm. It's a little land-locked, but I'm always up for Paris. I vote we dock in Calais and ride in together. *bats eyelashes atchoo*


4. I don't understand the attraction of a land-locked city, but I'm willing to play along for a little while. Who is the hero of your story most like: me (savvy, debonair, and unquestionably smooth with the ladies), the insufferably honorable Will Turner, or that deceptive little minx Elizabeth?

I'd say Beatrice (Shakespeare Smith) is a decent combination of all three... she's got principles, but can be pretty ruthless when it comes to getting what she wants!


5. Principles are pesky little things. Rum? Or more rum?

I would have said "yes and yes," but given that I am percolating a tiny personage in my midsection, the rum is going to have to wait for a bit.


6. More rum for me, my darling! Which leads me to the age old question: Why is the rum always gone?

I had you drink my share!


7. *looks around* Is that what happened? What’s the most piratish thing you’ve ever done?

We did roast Mister Cotton's Parrot last year for International Talk Like A Pirate Day (All right, all right, it was a Cornish game hen, and there were two of them, and I wouldn't really eat a parrot, unless I was trapped on a deserted island and it was between that and cannibalism...)


8. My dear, parrots most definitely do not taste of chicken. Don't let anyone tell you different. Are they rules? Or more like guidelines?

Definitely guidelines. Remember how I said I don't like playing by the rules?


9. I think we should run away together! After, of course, we procure more rum. I understand you’re a story-teller. Any undead monkeys in your stories?

Not anymore. The fairies tied him up and tossed him into the basement with a marshmallow stuffed in his piehole!


10. Fairies sound like wicked little creatures. I do hope you don't turn them against me. If you have no undead monkeys, have you any curses? Heartless monsters? Irritating women who insist on taking matters into their own hands?

How about a scrimshaw medallion, an enchanted theater, four cake-loving fairies, a Sea Goddess with dire need for vengeance, and a long-lost family?|


11. Yes to the medallion, the theater, and I suppose to the family, as long as they've brought rum. You can keep your Sea Goddess. I've already dealt with one of those. And I think we've established how I feel about fairies. One of my favorite words is “egregious.” Care to share one of yours, love?

I seem to have used "indefatigable" quite a bit lately.


12. A truly remarkable word! I often use it to describe my penchant for rum. Or that sly minx Elizabeth's ability to constantly muck up every perfectly laid plan. Parlay? Or draw your sword?

I vote we SAY "parlay" and then stab everyone within sword's reach!


13. Darling, I need a moment. I'm overcome with adoration for your utter pirate-ness. What say you and me "parlay" our way through the nearest port? *waits* I'll take that as a yes. You’ve got a crowd of cursed sailors and a nasty sea monster on your trail. How do you escape?

Down the rabbit hole.


14. I don't know what you mean, but if there's rum at the end and a chance to "parlay," I'm in. Romantic night in? Or adventure on the high seas?

*doesn't believe those things are mutually exclusive!*


15. It's decided, then. We shall run away together, "parlaying" our way to treasure, adventure, and rum. Just leave the fairies behind, my love. They make me shudder. My personal motto is: Take what you want, give nothing back. What’s yours?

Eat Dessert First. =)

Thank you, Lisa, for the fun interview. And for writing such captivating stories! To learn more about Lisa, visit her website. To purchase EYES LIKE STARS (which just came out in paperback) or PERCHANCE TO DREAM (Which comes out May 25th), head here. Trust me, you'll be glad you did.

Lisa's Giveaway:

Lisa is giving away an ARC of PERCHANCE TO DREAM to one lucky commenter. And because I'm SUCH a fan of hers, I'm throwing in a chance for another commenter to win the paperback edition of EYES LIKE STARS! Here's how to enter.

1. Earn entries:

*Comment on this post = 1 entry

*Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

*Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (Use @cjredwine or leave url to tweet in your comment so I can see it.)

*Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries


2. Tally it up: Please tally up your entries and leave the total in your comment.

3. Check back: The contest is open until 8 p.m. Saturday, April 17th. Please check back to see if you've won and to claim your prize!

Good luck to all, and happy reading!

36 comments:

  1. 3 pts. Followers and I'm saying I love Lisa's work and Lisa herself. She's a sweetie with a penchant for glittery cupcakes and that is so nice sometimes. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. Earn entries:

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    I'm SO EXCITED about PERCHANCE TO DREAM! I need to stop lending my books to people, I haven't had a chance to finish EYES LIKE STARS!

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    I'm an avid lurker!

    *Tweet link to this interview = 3 entries

    http://twitter.com/lights_aurora/status/12165521886


    That's 6 (six) total for me! Why did I do that number thing like lawyers do? LOL! Thanks SO MUCH CJ and Lisa, for this awesome interview and opportunity. Can't wait for PERCHANCE TO DREAM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just wanted to comment and tell everyone how AWESOME Perchance to Dream is!! I won the ARC a while back for making a kinda crazy vlog begging Lisa for it...

    So CJ you don't need to enter me. Lisa, you're awesome =)

    And good luck to everyone else! Trust me--you want these books <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVED your interview! I'm still laughing my butt off! Thank you for providing an entertaining way to start off my day!

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries~ Tammy

    *Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries ~ http://twitter.com/TwilightTammyTM/statuses/12165448669

    *Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries:
    http://twilighttammy.blogspot.com/2010/04/lol-this-interview-is-hilarious-plus.html

    9 total entries (I think)

    Thank you!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall enter, but I hope I remember to check in. I have the memory of an undead monkey, to be sure.

    I have:

    commented +1
    followed +2
    tweeted +3

    Total: 6 entries! Yahoo!

    I will try to blog about it, but may not get a chance. Either way, I'll display it on my sidebar for the whole world...err, 270 people to see.

    Great interview. Lisa handled Captain Jack like a pro. I think she must be part pirate. I am dying to get my hands on that ARC, by the way. My CP won one with a vlog she made, but she won't share.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great interview very funny!

    Comment=1 pt
    Tweets= 2 pts
    Follow=1 pt
    blog=1pt

    total =5

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant interview. What I wouldn't give to be interviewed by Captain Jack Sparrow!

    2 entries - comment here, retweet on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd really like to read this. Enjoyed Eyes Like Stars = 1 entry

    *Tweeted http://twitter.com/celestinacarmen/status/12169616164 = 3 entries

    Total = 4 entries

    tinaigne[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this interview; how you came up with the questions.

    I would love to join the contest

    -I am a follower of your blog.

    -I Follow your Twitter and retweeted the contest link over

    Http://Twitter.com/NeveBerry

    ReplyDelete
  11. FANTASTIC cupcake!!! Almost as good as the paperback cover of "How To Ditch Your Fairy." :P

    Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd love to read Eyes Like Stars!

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweet (http://twitter.com/Travis_Pearson/status/12176339060)

    Travis
    spongyman1026@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Don't enter me either--I have my shiny ARC of PTD and I adore it. But I had to tell you how much I enjoyed this interview. And Lisa is one of my favorite people on Twitter (don't worry CJ, you're in that group too!) so I enjoyed hearing from her in more than 140 characters.

    :)

    GREAT POST. Lurve.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Another great interview and as always, very entertaining!

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    *Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries
    Tweeted and retweeted! http://twitter.com/elschneid

    *Post the contest on your blog = 3 entries
    Posted on blog: http://elschneider6.blogspot.com/

    Total entries: 9!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. **can I get a big sigh here. I had a witty post and all the required stats finished, went to publish and BAM my internet was GONE.

    I'll try again, but witty is not my forte.

    Okay, Nothing. I got nada. Zip. I lost all the funny.

    Here's the link to my blog :)
    http://lbushman.blogspot.com/2010/04/contest-cj-redwines-blog.html

    So, I really want to win, like everyone else. I'm becoming an avid fan of this blog (really dig the cupcakes, btw)and am spiraling toward #1 fan. Only reason I'm not #1 is cuz I'm waiting for money to buy all your books. And some as gifts. (okay, does suck up get me point :D) And some of the other authors interviewed here.

    Seriously, love it. Thanks for all the interviews. With limited budgets all around, it's good to read about author's personalities and the books (For example, Celeste is one I'm going to buy, simply because she was willing to help you when you were *nobody!)

    Point tally is something like this:
    1 for commenting
    2 for following (I'd follow twice if I could!)
    3 for tweets I've tried twice if that counts because of internet issues so may show up three times before all's said and done.

    3 for linking to blog from blog

    How many for giving away for twitter addy?

    Anyways, great job again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. 4 points!
    comment and retweeting!!

    I love Lisa's previous book and I am dying to a perchance to dream ARC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 4 points!
    comment and retweeting!!

    I love Lisa's previous book and I am dying to a perchance to dream ARC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved Eyes Like Stars. Great interview.

    +2 I'm a follower

    3pts total

    jpetroroy at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great contest. I ahve been looking forward to this read. Thank you for your post.

    Comment = 1 entry
    Follower = 2 entries
    Tweeted: = 3 entries http://twitter.com/IntenseWhisper/status/12188538400

    Total: 6

    ReplyDelete
  20. Comment = 1

    Following = 2

    Tweeted (twice from separate accounts) = 3

    Blogged (http://wp.me/pSmSB-j) = 3

    9 entries. There ya go! =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I loved this interview! I can't wait to read Perchance to Dream. The cover is amazing!

    +2 for being a blog follower
    +1 for comment
    +3 for re-tweeting- http://twitter.com/MundieMoms

    I've heard nothing but great reviews for Perchance To Dream!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the interview and Lisa's answers!

    I haven't had a chance to read Eyes Like Stars yet, but it is on my TBR shelf, and with an ARC of PERCHANCE TO DREAM I'll have to move it up to the top of my shelf! ;)

    I am a follower +2
    Tweeted (@AmyAnneS) +3

    Total = 6 entries

    Thank you for this awesome opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
  23. APRIL 17TH! I just realized I still have more than TWO DAYS TO WAIT My heart can't take much more of this :D Good luck to everyone.

    BTW I just plugged you again in my blog for your query workshope :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome interview and contest, thanks so much!!! These books look really interesting and I love the covers!

    +1 leave a comment
    +2 Follow this blog
    +3 Tweet this contest (http://twitter.com/MaggieH25/status/12241498079)

    For a total of 6. Thanks again!
    My email: sweetanjul AT yahoo DOT com

    ReplyDelete
  25. i would love to read this book!

    Comment on this post = 1 entry

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    *Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (Use @cjredwine or leave url to tweet in your comment so I can see it.)

    http://twitter.com/uprobdontknowme/status/12241783887

    total:6

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hilarious interview, Lisa! Perchance to Dream sounds amazing, I can't wait to get my hands on a copy.

    Entries earned:
    Comment on this post = 1 entry
    Tweet about the interview = 3 entries(included @cjredwine)
    Post the contest on my blog = 3 entries http://vampsrus.blogspot.com/2010/04/upcoming-lisa-mantchev-release.html (Lily's my alter ego)

    7 enteries total

    Thanks Lisa & C.J. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I'm sooo want to read Lisa books, Coz She's a new for me Author. My hardworking to win her books was paid. I was lucky enough to win an ARC of PERCHANCE TO DREAM on other blog, so I'd really love to win he paperback edition of EYES LIKE STARS !

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    * a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    *Tweet and re-tweet this interview = 3 entries
    --> http://twitter.com/becunique/status/12268311377

    Total : 6 Entries

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha love the interview! I've heard great things about her books, but haven't read yet. So I would love to win! Please enter me if open internationally :)

    +1 Comment
    +2 Follower
    +3 Tweeted - http://twitter.com/peacelovevegan/status/12274511368

    Total = 6

    Thanks!
    hanging.by.a.moment_@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. Awesome post! I enjoyed the interview! And that cupcake is just pretty! To be honest, I've been looking for a copy of Eyes Like Stars since its release date. Sadly, I haven't found a copy here. And I'm really dying to read it!

    Please include me if this is open internationally.

    +1 commented

    +2 follower

    +3 tweeted: http://twitter.com/precious_shusky/status/12279182885

    Thank you!

    precious_shusky@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. Haha, great interview! Very fun!
    I'd love to get Perchance to Dream!! Please enter me if this is open internationally;)

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweeted: http://twitter.com/AnyaKapllani/status/12288463457
    total: 6

    Thanks!
    Anja_Kapllani@web.de

    ReplyDelete
  31. I cannot WAIT to read Perchance to Dream. I devoured the ARC of Eyes Like Stars and then turned around and bought the book when it came out and read it again. Cobweb has become one of my favorite characters EVER!

    Congrats to Lisa on the percolations! I hope this one tells an even better story than her family being eaten by sharks.

    Please tell me there is another Twitter Fairy Mischief contest like last time. That was way too much fun.

    Oh, and 6 entries, so maybe this time I can actually win and I won't have to raid CJ's bookshelf when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nice interview. I can't wait to read Perchance To Dream.

    +2 Blog follower

    +3 Tweet: http://twitter.com/Sparima/status/12355933832

    ReplyDelete
  33. Such a fun interview! And what a great cupcake! "Eat Dessert First" is a wonderful motto & I'm sure the fairies would approve. :) Also, "percolating a tiny personage in my midsection" may be the best (and funniest) pregnancy description I've ever read! Can't wait to read Perchance to Dream!

    +1 comment
    +2 follower
    +3 tweet:
    http://twitter.com/TheEagerReaders/status/12358302719
    +3 blog (sidebar + mentioned in a post):
    http://theeagerreaders.blogspot.com/2010/04/flower-friday-cupids-dart.html

    Total: 9 entries

    Thank you for sharing this fun interview & for hosting such an awesome giveaway!

    theeagerreaders[at]yahoo[dot]com

    ReplyDelete
  34. Is it awful that I love the smooshed fairy? I have been dying to get my hands on an ARC.

    *Comment on this post = 1 entry

    *Be a follower of this blog = 2 entries

    *Tweet the link to this interview = 3 entries (Do RT's count?)

    If the RT's count, then +6 if not +3

    ReplyDelete
  35. 6 points for me! (I for commenting, 3 for retweeting, 2 for following)

    ReplyDelete

People who comment are made of awesomesauce with a side of WIN!

Harry Potter Trailer & More!

The final trailer for Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 has been released, and I'm not going to lie. I get choked up every ti...